Here is info for the Parkdale church for this week…
- The Barss Corner Baptist Ladies’ Auxiliary’s annual Plant, Bake, Yard Sale and BBQ is Saturday, June 1, from 9 AM to 1 PM at the Barss Corner Hall. Donations accepted of like-new or gently used items. Please no clothing. Please think of the sale as you divide your plants. All proceeds are toward the work of the BLA, including Parsonage kitchen renovations.
- May 26 at 3:30 PM, Southwind will be in concert at New Cornwall Baptist Church. Free will offering for Long Lake Camp. Pot-luck to follow.
- May 31 is Robin Mark in Concert at Open Bible church in Bridgewater. Phone 543-3383 for tickets.
- June 3 at 7 PM the Lumber River Men’s trio will be at Bridgewater Baptist
- June 9 at 10:30 AM, our Rural Life service will be at the Parkdale church. Please bring finger foods for a pot-luck.
- Vacation Bible School will be August 5-9 in the mornings at Springfield Baptist Church. Some seats are available for drives from here.
- Swimming Lessons will happen this summer at the picnic grounds on the Haines Rd., July 22 – Aug. 2, from 1-5 PM. Contact the Municipality of the District of Lunenburg to register. https://www.modl.ca/59-municipal-services/recreation
- Long Lake Camp has give a few ways people or churches can give some additional support this summer. You can read them at https://barsscornerbaptist.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/needs-for-2019-llc-pdf.pdf
- I am considering hosting another Bible Study here at the parsonage this summer. I want to have some gauge of interest before I prepare, so… If you have not attended in the past, and you think you might attend this summer, please let me know. Or if you have attended in the past and you think you might not this summer, please let me know. Or, if there is a particular topic or section of the Bible you would really like for us to study, please let me know.
Some local places to buy things:
- Briggs and Stratton wool is available from Leona at 302 Haines Rd. Big selection.
- Lamb is available from John and Darlene in Stanburne, $10 per pound, they sell at various farmers’ markets, seems to me like very good quality. They have small amounts available frozen anytime, or you can order a larger amount a few days ahead. They are on the farm located between the Slauenwhites and the old Varner place, I think the civic number is about 1262 Stanburne Rd. Their phone number is 902-981-5644.
On the web:
- A couple people have asked me about Doctor Assisted Suicide recently. There is a good resource about it, from a Christian perspective, at https://files.evangelicalfellowship.ca/resources/res-form.php?fileurl=www.theefc.ca/EuthanasiaPalliativeGuidePDF&restitle=Euthanasia%20and%20Palliative%20Care%20Guide
- There is also a very good book Being Mortal about the choices and processes people and their families have to go through as they face end of life issues. My mom asked me to read it, and I encourage many others to read it with their loved ones. Let me know if you want to borrow my copy of it.
- There is a good New York Times article about how community groups and agencies are partnering effectively in Canadian cities to deal with poverty. It’s motivating for us as we try to build more connections with other local groups in this work in the broader New Germany area. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/opinion/canada-poverty-record.html
- In the midst of all the rain recently, a young person asked me a something about Noah’s ark: How was it possible for Noah to fit all the different kinds of animals on board? There is a fascinating feasibility study on that question at https://creation.com/images/pdfs/cabook/chapter13.pdf